Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Transferred!

We were all in the same district in the MTC and this was the 1st time being together again...Celebrating our 6 month mark!!!

Just like the Elders, we thought we would burn ties to commemorate 6 glorious months in the mission!


hey fam!
Yes...I was transferred! I am now serving in San Benito and I am so grateful for where I am, what I am doing, and who I am teaching with. my companion's name is sister call, she is so awesome and we get along really well! she came into the mtc a transfer after i did and so i met her there, but she was in the advanced Spanish class so she speaks much better than i do.. which is so helpful! i am learning a lot. I want to tell you all how much i love you and how happy i am where i am at! it is so wonderful and i love this new area and my new companion and some great things are going to happen!!! I feel so blessed and I know that the Lord continues to guide my path. This past week I have noticed a direct connection with all the things that I learned as I was with Sister Behrmann the past two transfers and all the things that I have been able to bring with me here to San Benito and apply in the work. I am so grateful for this opportunity to be thrown for a loop, to not know anyone and not know where I am and need to rely upon the Lord that much more. Sister Call and I have had many wonderful experiences and have seen such blessings as we have taught and worked so hard to get people to church so that they could prepare for baptism.

The area is wonderful and i am so excited for this new adventure that i am embarking upon... although i must say that the mosquitoes down here are even more ferocious! it is insane.
this past week we have been teaching a lot, it is so interesting to see how different areas can be.. even when they are only an hour away from each other. yes san benito is much more modern then pharr was. people's living conditions are way better here and it is so interesting to see real neighborhoods again. and because of that there are also problems such as it is harder to get baptisms here. this area hasn't had a baptism in over a year! but that just means it is ripe for some changes! it was really neat though because since i have been here we have been able to set 5 baptismal dates and last week 4 people came to church.. which is really good for this area. we are teaching two really amazing men who will probably be really ready for baptism.

We are instructed to set baptismal dates within the first two times because it helps us to see how motivated people are and how willing they are to change. also something hard is there are many good people who want to change but they are addicted to drugs or something and after a month or a couple weeks they fall back into their old habits... it is really sad. but i am very hopeful for a couple of the people we are teaching, they are wonderful and are very penitent so we will see what happens and we will work as hard as we can to help them prepare. this area is so wonderful, i learned so much in my last area with sister behrmann on how to be organized and schedule everyone.. and it has really helped in our new area. i have taken the things i have learned and applied them here and already i can see how it helps. it is so wonderful being a missionary and constantly learning and growing.

One of our blessings this week was our 1st teaching with Antonio. We taught him about the atonement and repentance and the spirit was so strong. His face was soaked with tears as he expressed the desire to change and the hardship he had faced in life as various sins had chained him down. It was amazing because at the end he expressed how he felt a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Sunday, a wonderful young couple drove out of their way to pick him up and take him to church and that night we went with Elder Ottto to go and visit Antonio and teach him another discussion. I can hardly describe the spirit that was felt in that room. Antonio is 48 and looks weathered from the hard life that he has lived. he lives with his older children who are a bit loud. we walked in and there was loud music and the kids were in the adjoining family room playing games and talking and laughing. None of them wanted to join us or listen but an amazing change took place throughout the lesson. as we talked about the atonement more and about the restoration, the spirit was so strong in that room and his kids who are well into their 20's stopped everything they were doing and sat and were listening in on the lesson. The testimonies that were born were so beautiful and you could see the impact and change it had on Antonio. He seemed lighter and lifted. I know that the atonement is real. Just through testimony he felt the blessings of the atonement and I know that as Antonio prepares for baptism and is baptized that he will see the atonement take ahold of his life and change him even more dramatically.

I am so grateful to be a missionary and to be crying repentance. I am so grateful for the penitent who heed the cry and then do... and strive to become more like Christ. i am grateful for the atonement in my life, that i can repent and then act and strive to be more like my Savior. These people are so precious and we are going to work as hard as we can to help them prepare and make these covenants and receive these blessings.

LOVE YOU!!! BYEEEEEEEEE

1 comment:

sachin sharma said...

Really interesting .... Keep posting..

Sachin Sharma
Runs SEO Training Institute in Delhi India